Sunday, January 30, 2011

FA Cup Thrashing!

Well, Fulham V. Tottenham just happened in the Fa Cup and I must admit, as a Fulham fan, I am pleased with the outcome. I mean, how could I not be? 4-0 to The Cottagers against a strong European side that is pushing for another Champions League bid? Well done, Whites!

4th round FA Cup matches are a bit of a crap shoot as far as squad selections go, but with a pairing that pitted two Premiership sides against one another, you'd expect something close to full strength from each team. An early penalty tends to change the dynamic of a match, especially when awarded to the visiting team, but Fulham won the penalty and Alan Hutton cannot be aggrieved. His challenge on Dempsey in the box seemed pretty cut and dried and Murphy finished well. Having said that, and again, as a Fulham supporter, I have to say that the second spot kick and Dawson's sending off was crap. His brief shirt tug did not effect Dembele's run at goal and, were I a Yid, I'd be feel hard done by to be 2-0 down and a man short so soon in the match. I say this in spite of the fact that I was pounding my chest, waving my scarf, and singing "Take Me Home Al-Fayed" at the top of my lungs as Murphy finished his second PK.

What Spurs can't feel hard done by are Fulham's second and third goals. Hangeland finished far too easily off Duff's corner and Dembele's goal, Fulham's fourth, was something out of a beer league Sunday match. Dribble, dribble, dribble, shoot, goal. From midfield. Seriously, Tottenham?

I expected the second half to provide a bit more drama, but Tottenham never found their groove and Fulham were unlucky to not have gone up 5 or 6 nil. How much would this game have changed if Tottenham would have hit back for two goals and found themselves chasing the math at 4-2? Chalk it up to the magic of the FA Cup, I suppose.

Now it's on to Wigan or Bolton. Where's the justice in that? Arsenal scrape by with a win against Huddersfield and ManUre escape with a win against Southampton. Their next round matches? Leyton Orient and Crawley Town respectively. Whatever.

COYW!

No comments:

Post a Comment